BRAEMAR'S WORLD WAR ONE CENTENARY - Fly, Cruise & Stay package includes:
- Return economy class airfare with a full service carrier from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth to London**
- Transfer in London from Airport to hotel
- 4 nights accommodation in a 4-star hotel in London including Continental Breakfast
- Welcome to London City Tour - The morning part of the tour begins with a visit to St Paul's Cathedral where we enter as their doors open. We will explore the masterpiece designed by Wren in 1673 with a professional guide, taking time to listen to the 1695 organ that Mendelssohn once played and visit the tombs of Nelson and Wellington. On Sundays when there is restricted viewing at the Cathedral there will be an opportunity to enter and enjoy one of the services. Next a photo stop outside Westminster Abbey before we head to Buckingham Palace, the official Royal residence of Her Majesty the Queen. Watch the world famous changing of the Guard ceremony as the Queen's soldiers, dressed in their fabulous tunics and busbies march to military music. Free time will be given for lunch and our guide will be happy to recommend places to eat. Afternoon: The Tower of London Arriving at the Tower of London built in 1066 by William the Conqueror, our guide will regale you with fascinating insights into the history of this Royal Palace and fortress. Ample time will be given to view the Crown Jewels and the White Tower and to wander around this imposing fortress. Finally we will take a guided private extended boat trip on the River Thames. Enjoy excellent views of Tower Bridge, The Shard, St. Paul's Cathedral, Shakespeare's Globe and of the Houses of Parliament from the river whilst being entertained by our tour guide. The tour finishes at the Southbank Pier (located near the London Eye).
- Transfer from London Hotel to Southampton Port
- 7 night World War One Centenary cruise aboard Fred. Olsen's Braemar round trip from Southampton
- All shipboard main meals (excluding specialty restaurants)
- All port/govt charges
- Transfer from Southampton Port to London Airport
- Air Taxes
7 Night Cruise sailing from Southampton roundtrip aboard Braemar.
Visit France and Belgium on a very special seven night sailing specifically timed to commemorate the centenary of World War One ending. These historic nations played a vital role in ‘The Great War’ and each destination on this emotive itinerary has been included to offer you opportunities to pay your respects to the fallen at infamous battlefields, fascinating museums and iconic memorials.
After a short sail along the English Channel from Southampton, Braemar will call first into Dunkirk. As the site of one of World War Two’s most famous battles, this pretty commune features a number of fascinating museums offering an in-depth look into French wartime history. Situated close to Belgium, Dunkirk is also ideally placed for tours to Ypres, which was reduced to rubble in World War One. Perhaps cross the border and visit the Great War battlefields; take a moment at the Menin Gate Memorial, where the Last Post is played every evening as a mark of respect; and learn about Belgium’s role in World War One at the superb In Flanders Fields Museum. Ypres is also within reach of Ghent, while Mons – a major World War One battleground and the site where the first WWI Victoria Crosses were handed out – and the Belgian capital are short journeys away too. You’ll dock in Ghent for a full day on 11th November, offering you the chance to head to Brussels and be part of the annual Remembrance Sunday commemoration.
It’s also possible to tour to Brussels from Antwerp, although if you’re prepared to venture slightly further afield it’s well worth heading to Liège. This historic city is where the opening engagement between the Germans and Belgians in World War One took place and the ruined Fort de Loncin – the only fort not to surrender to the German advances – is a must-visit. Alternatively, if you prefer to stay in pretty Antwerp, be sure to wander the pretty cobbled streets and take in the magnificent Cathedral of Our Lady and the Royal Museum of Fine Arts, the legendary diamond district and the abundance of chocolate shops. Returning to France, Braemar’s final stop is Boulogne-sur-Mer, the closest port to the Somme and the exceptional Thiepval Memorial to the Missing. Thiepval features a fascinating visitor centre and museum dedicated to remembering the brave soldiers that lost their lives in the fierce battles of the Somme. Within Boulogne there’s much to discover too, including the gothic church of St Nicholas, the medieval castle and the 12th century, UNESCO-listed castle.
Highlights of this cruise:
Dunkirk is the third largest harbour in France.
Ghent is often described as Europe’s best kept secret. Quiet, yet vibrant; historic, yet contemporary, this beautiful Belgian city is brimming with culture and packed with sights and attractions.
With over 80% of the world's rough diamonds passing through the city's famous diamond district at some point, Antwerp is renowned for it's charm and sparkle. However, there's a lot more to this fine city than precious stones - it's home to plenty of other gems to discover and enjoy too.
Boulogne Sur Mer, France
Based on France's most northerly point, Boulogne features a 19th century cathedral, which was built as a replacement to its predecessor, destroyed during the revolution.
*Conditions Apply: Please note that the prices shown here are not shown in real time. Offer correct as at 15Nov17 and subject to live availability at time of booking. While we endeavour to keep our pricing as up-to-date as possible, the advertised prices shown here may differ from the live prices in our booking system. Offer subject to live availability at time of booking. Prices are per person share twin based on best available cruise fare, inclusive of all discounts unless otherwise stated. Outside and Balcony cabins may have obstructed views and Suite cabins comprises Junior Suites, Mini Suites and any other type of suite that represents the best value for each cruise. Some prices are subject to currency fluctuations. Unless otherwise stated, gratuities are NOT included. All prices based on cash or cheque payment - credit card fees may apply. Unless otherwise stated, all packages containing airfare will require full airfare and taxes within 24 hours of reservation and cancellation/amendment conditions apply. **Airfare price based on 2017 prices and as such subject to change until bookable at approximately the end of December 2017. These fares may change due to availability or currency fluctuations and all prices listed here are best considered `guestimates` except for cruise prices/offers. Airfare valid ex Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth however airline schedules are based ex Sydney and other departure cities may require more or less accommodation due to airline schedules. Air taxes of $344pp based ex Sydney are included in package price and are subject to change. Some cruise lines reserve the right to impose a fuel levy if the NMEX price reaches a certain level - please check with your consultant at time of booking. Cruise deposit, amendment and cancellation conditions apply. Travel agent service fees may apply. Special conditions apply - please ask for full details at time of enquiry. All passports, vaccinations and visas are the responsibility of the travelling guest to secure prior to departure from Australia. Some transfers have local speaking drivers only. Please note only residents with an Australian address are eligible to book Australian rates in Australian dollars. Offer ends 28Feb18 or until sold out/withdrawn from sale. This cruise package is provided by Cruise Abroad, please ask your travel agent to contact us for more information.